Costa Rica: Volunteer work im National Park mit ASVO!

Weltweit, aber einzeln nach Land oder Stadt und Tätigkeitsfeld: Tipps, Adressen, Organisationen, Erfahrungen, Voraussetzungen zum Jobben: Bezahlt, als Au Pair, "Hand gegen Koje", als spezifisch genanntes Auslandspraktikum, Volontariat oder Freiwilligenarbeit ...
Forumsregeln
WRF-Infopool Unterwegs Arbeiten:Auch wenn nicht im ortsbezogenen Infopool, soll hier trotzdem bitte nur streng einzelthematisch gepostet und auch nur direkt auf den Thementitel bezogen geantwortet werden!
Bitte vermeide nicht direkt zum Titel gehörende Suchworte (z.B. Ländernamen oder themenfremde Zusatzfragen).
Nur dadurch bleiben die Themen langfristig aktualisier- und findbar.
Danke! :)
claudi88
Kiebitz

Ungelesener Beitrag von claudi88 »

Hallo,

ich hab meine Reise mit einem Sprachkurs in Costa Rica begonnen und hab danach 4 Wochen in einem costaricanischen Nationalpark gearbeitet. Die Zeit im Park hat ca. 10-15US$ pro Tag gekostet und das wurde alles über meine Sprachschule geregelt.

Wenn man in einem Nationalpark arbeiten will, muss man auf jeden Fall etwas zahlen (ist aber immer noch billiger als die üblichen Kosten von Hostelübernachtung und Essen), das Ganze läuft nämlich alles über eine zentrale Organisation, die Seite von denen heißt glaub ich: www.asvocr.org. Dort kann man sich ja mal ein bisschen informieren.

Ich hab im Parque Nacional Cabo Blanco gearbeitet und es war auf jedenfall eine tolle Zeit dort. Falls man vorhat während der Reise in Costa Rica viele Nationalparks zu besuchen, hat man übrigens den Vorteil, dass man mit dem Mitgliedsausweis von ASVO kostenlosen Eintritt bekommt (spart 10$ pro Park).

Pura Vida
Claudi

[Anm. Astrid: Beitrag abgesplittet aus der Mitreisebörse, wo Infos langfristig verloren gehen ;)]
Gast

Ungelesener Beitrag von Gast »

Hello to everybody who's interested in saving endangered seaturtles in Costa Rica with ASVO, StaTravel or other organizatons - here's a short statement on it.

After spending time in both sea turtle conservation areas in Matapalo and Montezuma with ASVO in summer 2014, I strongly disadvise any interested volunteer in going there with a project. Although the experience with the sea turtles and the work in conserving their lives is one of the best things you can ever experience and shouldn't miss, the way ASVO treats the volunteers - the only ones who make sure that such an important project can run - very poorly. We didn't get enough food, so we had to buy a lot of expensive stuff in the supermarket next door (some of the volunteers who spend time with the locals even went to their houses to get some more to eat), the beds were full of bedbugs, and we had to put two mattresses on top of each other and still getting backache every night. A lot of evenings the staff organized money from every volunteer to pay (not included in the fee of the project) to buy some food, but some people (especially the staff itself) didn't pay extra, but ate the food, too. Of course you could insist on eating the normal meals, but you felt bad when everybody else payed the extra meals. We payed 35$ everyday, so things like this shouldn't happen. Also a lot of things were broken (the chairs in the hatchery were unusable, if you didn't lean them on anything, the cubes for the babyturtles were broken, so they almost hurt themselves when they were crawling through a crack). After the first project in Matapalo we decided to go to Montezuma, working in the project there, but not living in the house anymore, but to live in a hostel and pay for our own food. We thought that the project of ASVO is about saving turtles. We were forbidden to work there anymore, if we did not pay. So obviously ASVO is about the money.
To complain about all of this, I went to San Jose to talk to the office, and there I have been told that all the problems either were because of the staff in the several projects, who hide new items brought to them by the office, or because the office didn't know anything about all the problems. But it is their business to know this! The reason why you aren't allowed to work without paying fees is that they then hadn't enough money to run the project anymore, but they get thousands of $$ and still cannot maintain at least a roof which isn't leaking or enough 10$ chairs to sit on at night for 3 hours. If the office would have gone a few times a year to the projects, they would have seen this. When I left Costa Rica, I met another guy from the project, he told me that at least the chairs have been replaced with new ones. I was happy about this, until he told me that the volunteers themselves payed for them.

I would not recommend ASVo as an organization, until a lot of things have changed. I was not the only one, I met a lot of people from a lot of countries who also were very angry. Of course the sea turtle conservation is a very important thing that should go on, but it shouldn't be used to exploit the volunteers.